Frequently Asked Questions
How to create a provisioning profile
In order to build an iOS App for your website, we will need a provisioning profile from your side. This document lists all the steps to help you create and download such a profile from your Apple Developer account.
- Apple developer account - https://developer.apple.com/account/
- Certificate signing request (CSR) file - Download
Step 1: Create an "Apple Distribution" Certificate
- Go to https://developer.apple.com/account/ and sign into your Apple Developer account. If you don’t already have an account, click on “create yours now” and create a new account by paying the registration fee.
- Click on “Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles”, and then go to “Certificates” in the left menu.
- Click on the add button next to the Certificates header to create a certificate
- Select “Apple Distribution” from the options available and click on continue.
- Download our CSR file and upload in your Apple Developer Account at this step.
- Then click on continue. Your Certificate should now be ready.
Step 2: Create a new App ID
- In Apple Developer account, go to “Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles”, and click on "Identifiers" in the left menu.
- Click the add button next to the Identifiers header to create a new identifier.
- Select "App ID" from the available options and click on continue.
- Select identifier type as "App" and then click continue.
- You can enter your App name in the description field.
- Now, select a unique "Bundle ID" for your App. This should ideally be similar to your domain name, but in the reverse order.
For example, if your domain name is example.com, then you can select a Bundle ID as com.example.ios
Mark your bundle ID as "explicit".
- In the Capabilities list below, make sure you select "Push notifications" and "Access WiFi Information"
- Select the "Sign in with Apple" capability. You can keep it at its default setting which is "enable as a primary App ID"
- Then Click on continue
- Click on register, and your App Identifier is now ready.
- Open that App ID from the Identifiers list
- Check the "Sign in with Apple" capability
- Click "Save"
Step 3: Create a Service ID
- Go to https://developer.apple.com/account/resources/identifiers/list/serviceId
- Click on the add button next to identifiers header to create a new Service ID
- Click on "Services ID" and click continue
- Enter the description and identifier. Identifier should ideally be similar to your domain name, but in the reverse order.
For example, if your domain name is example.com, then you can select a Bundle ID as com.example.ios, Also please note that this identifier will later be referred to as your Client ID
- Click on continue and then click on register (this will take you back to the list of Service IDs)
- Now select the Service ID that you just created
- Check the box next to "Sign in with Apple", then click "Configure"
- In the Domains and Subdomains add the domains of the websites on which you want to
use "Sign in with Apple" capability, e.g. yourdomain.com.
- In the Return URLs box add the full return URL you want to use, for example,
- Click "Next" and then "Done" to close the settings dialog box
- Click "Continue" and then "Save" to update the Service ID
Step 4: Create a Key
- Click on the add button next to Keys header
- Set the "Key Name" (for example "Sign in with Apple key")
- Check the box next to "Sign in with Apple", then click "Configure" on the same row
- Under "Primary App ID" select the App ID of the app you want to use. (either the newly
created one or an existing one)
- Click "Save" to close the configure dialog box.
- Click "Continue" and then click "Register"
- Now you'll see a "one-time only" screen where you must download the key by clicking the
- Also note the "Key ID" which you might need later
Step 5: Create & Download a Provisioning Profile
- In Apple Developer account, go to “Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles”, and click on "Profiles" in the left menu.
- Click on the add button next to the “Profiles” header to create a new profile
- Select "App store" under the distribution section and click continue
- Select the “App ID” which you have created in Step-2 and click continue.
- Select the certificate that you have created in Step-1.
- Enter a “Provisioning Profile Name” for your reference and click on generate.
- Now download the profile.
Last Updated 11 months ago